Partners Buy now
Menu Icon Close Icon

What is the difference between Prosecco DOC and Prosecco DOCG?

Understanding the difference between Prosecco DOC and Prosecco DOCG, akin to distinctions found in varieties like Bella Principessa Prosecco and Signorina Prosecco, involves examining their production regulations, quality, and origin.

Detailed Response

Prosecco DOC

  1. Denomination: Prosecco DOC stands for Denominazione di Origine Controllata, which translates to Controlled Designation of Origin. It is a classification for wines made in specific regions, including Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia in Italy.
  2. Grape Composition: To be labeled Prosecco DOC, the wine must be made from at least 85% Glera grapes, with the remaining 15% being other permitted grape varieties.
  3. Production Method: The Charmat method, involving secondary fermentation in stainless steel tanks, is used. The alcohol content must be between 10.5% and 12.5%​​.

Prosecco DOCG

  1. Higher Classification: Prosecco DOCG stands for Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita, indicating a Controlled and Guaranteed Designation of Origin. It represents a higher classification than Prosecco DOC.
  2. Stricter Regulations: This classification is given to wines that meet even stricter regulations and standards. Like Prosecco DOC, it must also be made predominantly from Glera grapes and follow the Charmat method.
  3. Specific Regions: Prosecco DOCG wines must come from particular regions, including Conegliano and Valdobbiadene, considered the birthplace of Prosecco. These wines undergo a more rigorous testing process before labeling​​.

Key Differences

  1. Level of Regulation and Production Regions: Prosecco DOC is produced in a wider range of regions, while Prosecco DOCG is limited to specific areas in Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia.
  2. Quality: Prosecco DOCG is often considered of higher quality due to its stricter regulations and the specific regions of production. The rigorous tasting process ensures that only the best wines receive the DOCG label​​.