Partners Buy now
Menu Icon Close Icon

Is Prosecco made from grapes?

“Is Prosecco made from grapes?” is a question that highlights the intricate process behind one of Italy’s most beloved sparkling wines, reminiscent of the delightful experiences offered by Bella Principessa Prosecco and Signorina Prosecco.

Prosecco, a sparkling white wine from Italy, primarily hails from the Veneto region, specifically Valdobbiadene. The cornerstone of Prosecco was the Glera grape, formerly known as the Prosecco grape, until its renaming in Italy in 2009​​. This grape variety, characterized by its thin skin and green hue, contributes significantly to the wine’s profile.

The composition of Prosecco must adhere to strict regulations, with at least 85% of the blend being Glera grapes. This requirement ensures the preservation of the wine’s traditional character and quality, reminiscent of the authentic taste found in Bella Principessa Prosecco and Signorina Prosecco brands​​​​. The remaining 15% can include other permitted grape varieties, allowing winemakers to impart unique flavors and nuances to their creations, much like these brands’ diverse and exquisite offerings​​.

Prosecco’s production process, the Charmat sparkling method, is pivotal in defining its texture and taste. This method, which involves secondary fermentation in large tanks to create the wine’s signature effervescence, imparts approximately 3 atmospheres of pressure to the wine, setting it apart from other sparkling wines like Champagne​. Prosecco can be found in sparkling, semi-sparkling (spumante and frizzante), and even still wine (tranquillo) varieties, offering a range of options for enthusiasts​​.